Help for Forecast
PURPOSE: The Forecast App is used to view the Forecast for a given station in the USA.
When to Use the Forecast
To see the Forecast for a given US airport
The Forecast screen is used to view forecast weather data for an airport. Obviously as a forecast product it is subject to the limits of the models in use. This page should be used to get a heads-up high level look at forecast conditions. This is of course no substitute for a standard weather briefing.
This forecast product is used because the data displayed is similar to the METAR data and can be displayed in a similar format.
To help visualize future trends over time
I use this product as one of many weather forecast products. Because of the format of the data I think it makes a nice companion to the Current WX page.
To get a quick read on weather compared to minimums and maximums
The forecast values are colored according to personal minimums and maximums. This brings important information to the pilots attention.
To help visualize future wind conditions on local runways
Crosswind and Headwind components are displayed for up to three runways. This data is also color coded based on user selected limits.
How to Use the Forecast
Select the Airport
Touch the Station ID (Blue Button) at the top/left of the screen and the Airport Search screen will be presented
Enter a few characters from the Station ID or the Airport name or the Airport City
See the screenshot below for an example
Select the Airport by touching the line you want
Review the Forecast
Slide the slider at the bottom to scroll forward through available Forecast data.
Touch the refresh button to get the current Forecast
The Forecast data used on this screen is from NOAA's National Weather Service Meteorological Development Lab web site: http://www.weather.gov/mdl/synop/products.php
Therefore the data is subject to limits of this site. The Forecast is only supplied for current GFS MOS Stations. This list of stations is available here: http://www.weather.gov/mdl/synop/stadrg.php
This list includes USA Stations Only.
Forecast Data Displayed
- Selected Station ID, Airport name and City: The airport identification
- Date & Time: Zulu time for the Forecast and time for the local time zone
- Forecast values: These values are taken directly from the Forecast or calculated based on the Forecast data
- Colorized Personal Minimums: Visibility, Ceiling, Temp and Wind Speed will be colorized based on personal minimums defined on the Options page
- Favorites: Touch a favorite on the list to see the forecast for that Station
- Aviation Flight Category:
LIFR Ceiling < 500 Feet Visibility < 1 mile
IFR Ceiling 500 - 1,000 Feet Visibility 1 - 3 miles
MVFR Ceiling 1,000 - 3,000 Feet Visibility 3 - 5 miles
VFR Ceiling > 3,000 Feet Visibility > 5 miles
- Graphic Wind direction and speed
- Sky Condition: From the Forecast
- Graphical presentation of forecast data: The six boxes show Forecast data for the Station. These graphics clearly show expected trends for weather data.
- Runway relative wind: Up to three runways will be shown with the wind arrow showing the selected Forecast wind data. Headwind and Crosswind components are calculated. The suggested runway (with headwind) is shown in red and the tailwind runway is shown in blue.